|S K Kharventhan|
There are broadly four categories, under which the members are rated in the Lok Sabha for their performance.
They are (1) Raising questions during question hours, (2) raising issues of public importance under rule 377, (3) participation in debates, legislative business and budget discussions, and (4) regular attendance.
PodUniversal featured the top performers of 14th Lok Sabha under these four categories.
14th Lok Sabha had 14 sessions during the tenure.
Mr S K Kharventhan, Member of Parliament (Congress) from Palani (Tamilnadu) Constituency emerged as one of the top 5 performers in the 14th Lok Sabha (all 14 sessions combined) in the following areas:
1. Issues raised under Rule 377 : Members can raise important public issues under Rule 377 to draw the attention of the Government and the Public. Mr Kharventhan stood as No 1 in raising such issues. He has raised 377 issues. (Average is 6 issues per member – 176 members did not raise any issue)
2. Question hour is an important time for raising questions on public interest. The average questions raised by the members in the 14th Lok Sabha is 167 per member and 78 Members did not raise any questions. Mr Kharventhan has rasied 1200 questions and remains in the top 5 performers under this category.
3. Participation in debates: There is a general feeling that Members did not participate in the debates in connection with legislative business, bills, budgets, etc. The average for 14th Lok Sabha was 24 times per Member. 57 Members did not participate. Mr Kharventhan has participated in 187 times and remains 6th or 7th amongst the top performers.
4. Usage of library: He was using the Parliament Library extensively to prepare his notes on various debates.
5. MP funds: He has utilised 100% of the MP funds for welfare projects in his constituency and 99% of the projects have already been implemented.
On behalf of PodUniversal, we recorded his interview over phone on his success story. Please listen to his interview.
This video may also be watched from the following link